The introduction of Netflix to Nigerians kept many wondering about the future of DSTV (Digital Satellite Television) to perform effectively in the future. The Questions trending now is Netflix and Dstv which one is the best for Nigerians like me, can i really afford it? to clear the question you have to read this article very well.
Today I am going to compare Netflix and DSTV using their best advantages and disadvantages, before I walk you through the post I would like to let you know that this post is not a sponsored post made by any of the above TV service provider. Get Set Let’s Roll.
Let’s See One or Two things I Have to Say About Them
DSTV(Digital Satellite Television) is a MultiChoice company based in South Africa that provides digital Satellite Television to its subscribers, DSTV is currently of the leader of TV services in the whole of Africa in which they have successfully weeded competition from other TV service provider.
They have different packages for their services with different subscription fee, Here are the Names of their Plans and different prices;
- DStv Premium – ₦13,980
- DStv Extra
- DStv Compact – ₦9,420
- DStv Compact Plus – ₦6,000
- DStv Family – ₦3,600
- DStv Access – ₦1,800
- DStv EasyView
- DStv North Indian
- DStv South Indian
- DStv Indian
- DStv Portuguesa
- DStv Mobile
- DStv Mobile DVBH and Bomba
- DStv 20th Century Fox generations
NETFLIX – Netflix is an American based “on-demand” streaming media, i.e which gives you the ability to watch TV channels right from your phone, tablet , PC(Personal Computer) with your dail-up connection internet connection. When it comes to cheap unlimited streaming, Netflix is very cheap, here are their packages and prices
- Basic Plan = = => $7.99
- Standard Plan = = =>$9.99
- Premium Plan = = =>$11.99
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages
I am going to use different properties to make comparison between the two (2)
How Do They Work
DSTV makes use of Encoding and Decoding of signal through the use of Dish(free to air) and a Decoder, A signal is sent, the dish outside receives the encoded signal (which is usually in Binary or other computer format), it transfers the encoded signal to the Decoder which is inside the house through the LCD cable (connects the Dish outside to the Decoder inside), the decoder decodes the received encoded signal into sounds and images.
NETFLIX makes use of your Internet connection right from your mobile phone or any device that have access to the internet, all you have to do is to access their website after subscription and look for a TV show to watch. The graphics efficient depends solely on the strength of your internet connection.
Netflix can be used anywhere and on any internet enabled device, it can be connected to your TV (I will show you how to connect Netflix to your mordern TV)
FINAL THOUGHTS ON HOW THEY WORK = =>
** DSTV is free to air while Netflix makes use of your internet connection**
This property shows what you need to get Dstv and Netflix running properly compared to the cost, I hope you understood what I am trying to do.
DSTV – DSTV requires a Decoder, Dish, Smartcard(Subscribed smartcard) and a Television with Power available.
- DSTV Decoder Prices in Nigeria
- DSTV HD DECODER >> N19,700 — Buy Now From Konga
- DSTV EXPLORA DECODER >> N75,000 —- Buy Now From Konga
- DSTV HD ZAPPA DECODER + 1 Month Free Subscription >> N16,000 —- Buy Now From Konga .
- DSTV Packages and Prices — Scroll up to see package name and prices.
NETFLIX – Netflix requires mainly;
- An Internet enabled phone
- A Membership Subscription
To connect Netflix from your mobile phone or PC to your TV you will need this;
- From your PC or Your Smartphone to your TV – You will need a VGA(Visual Graphic Adaptor) cable, You can buy it now from Konga here or you can get a HDMI(High Definition Media Cable) cable which is better than VGA, Buy HDMI from Konga here . If you are not sure of the cable to buy, you can checkout this comparison of VGA VS HDMI.
NOTE:- Your TV must be a new model, it should have cable ports at the back to be able to connect the cable together with your device.
For those of us who wants something more better than using a mobile phone or a pc to watch Netflix on a TV, there is another solution for you, You will have to buy any or one of the following;
- A Blu-Ray Disc Player that supports Wi-Fi, Streaming and browsing capabilities, some of them are the Blu-Ray Disc player made by Panasonic and Sony.
- Google Chrome Cast :- Google chrome cast allows you to stream online directly from your phone to your TV without wires or cables, the Google chrome cast as seen above needs to be connected to the HDMI port at the back of your TV and you have to download the Google chrome cast app from Google PlayStore and follow the instructions for more info on how to use the Google chrome cast to watch Netflix on your TV follow this link .
- ROKU 3 :- Roku 3 looks just like a DSTV decoder but it is an internet player or a streaming decoder that allows you to stream internet videos alone you can go to their official website here or you can read more about it and purchase it here from Amazon because it is not yet in Nigeria delivery within 4 days, Click to buy Roku 3 from Amazon for $94 Now .
DSTV – Subscribing for DSTV varies on the type of plan you want and according to the amount you want to spend. DSTV does not require internet connection to watch videos.
NETFLIX – Netflix subscriptions are very cheap unlike DSTV, but Netflix requires Internet connection to be able to watch videos. The only factor I think might affect the wide use of Netflix is the cost of accessing the Internet, Netflix claimed that their streaming service do not consume bandwidth like YouTube and the rest of them.
Let’s say you are consuming 1GB or less for Netflix then you have to prepare yourself to be subscribing for Spectranet “LTE Connect 18500 plan which costs N18,500 a month for 30GB” and don’t forget plus the monthly subscription of Netflix maybe you are using the Premium package of $11.99 which is N2,900 (price of dollar compared to Naira as at the time of writing this post)
- No need for internet connection
- You have to wait for a program to start generally
- Search and watch any movie you want online,
- Watch different movies on different devices (standard and premium packages),
- Watch Movies anywhere and anytime of the day,
- Need for Internet Connection,
- Technical Problem connecting to Your TV,
NOTE :- You have to weigh the Advantages and Disadvantages to know the one to go for, if you are a sports lover DSTV is right for you but if you are a movie lover then Netflix is your best bet.
I will be dropping my pen here now, you can air your thoughts using the comment Box below, you can also recommend what is missing from the post/article and I will not hesitate to add it.
#Another Wonderful post AddedNew @ AddedNew.com, always come for more.